Driver’s licenses

An International Driver’s License will be valid for up to six months, as will certain foreign or out-of-state licenses recognized by the State of Vermont. After six months of residency in Vermont, you need to apply for a state license at a Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) location. The closest location is approximately 10 miles away in Montpelier, Vermont.

A license will be issued after you pass the vision, written and road tests and pay the fees. Generally, the permit and road test are done on separate days. Usually, you will not be able to make an appointment for the road test until you have already passed the permit test.  If you are taking the driving test, you must be accompanied by a licensed driver at least 25 years of age. The car you use for the driving test must have a valid vehicle registration certificate and be in good mechanical condition. An automobile insurance identification card is also required.

Please Note: The Vermont DMV must verify your Social Security Number (SSN). If you are a temporary foreign national not authorized for employment, you are required to present documentation from Social Security Administration (SSA) verifying you are not eligible for a SSN. To obtain this documentation, you must first make an appointment with the International Student Coordinator in the Norwich University International Center to request a letter for the SSA. Once you have this letter, you must visit the SSA to obtain the proper documentation for the DMV.  The closes SSA location is also in Montpelier, Vermont.  For location and hours, please visit and input your zip code.

Additional information regarding obtaining a Vermont State Driver’s License:

Study abroad Study at Norwich Partner with us Apply now
Norwich University
158 Harmon Drive
Northfield, VT 05663 USA
1 (802) 485-2000 | 1 (800) 468-6679
Copyright © 2018 Norwich University - all rights reserved