Extension of Stay

What is an “Extension of Stay”?

If you will not complete your academic program by the expected completion date of your current Form I-20 or Form DS-2019, you must file for an Extension of Stay and receive a new Form I-20 or DS-2019 with a new completion date. This must be done before your current Form I-20 or DS-2019 expires.

When should I apply for the Extension of Stay?

We recommend that you submit your application to our office 30–90 days before the completion date on your current Form I-20 or DS-2019. Your extension request must be made and granted prior to the completion date; U.S. immigration regulations do not allow for extensions with requests made after the current program end date. Failure to file a timely application will therefore result in loss of F-1 or J-1 status.

Who is eligible for an Extension of Stay?

To be eligible for an extension of stay, you must show that:

  • You are currently in valid F-1 or J-1 student status AND
  • You have maintained F-1 or J-1 status and continually been a full-time student AND
  • You are making normal progress toward completing your course of study AND

F-1 Students must also show that the delay in completion was caused by compelling academic or medical reasons. Please note: Delays due to academic probation or suspension do not qualify for an extension.

J-1 Students must also note that they are only eligible to stay for up to 24 months/upon approval from sponsor and if applicable the home university/exchange partner.

How do I apply for an Extension of Stay?

To apply for an extension, submit the following documents to the International Student Coordinator in the International Center, 3rd Floor Plumley Armory prior to the expected completion date on your current Form I-20 or Form DS-2019:

  • Extension Form, to be completed by your Academic Advisor
  • Financial documentation demonstrating an additional year’s cost of attendance

Will I receive a new Form I-20 or Form DS-2019?

Yes. After we receive your complete Extension of Stay application, the International Center will extend your SEVIS record and create a new Form I-20 or DS-2019 with a revised completion date.  Please keep previous documentation. You should carry all of your Form I-20’s or Form DS-2019’s when traveling because you may be required to present them as proof of your immigration history.

Study abroad Study at Norwich Partner with us Apply now

Connect with us

Norwich University
158 Harmon Drive
Northfield, VT 05663 USA
802.485.2000 | 1.800.468.6679
Copyright © 2018 Norwich University - all rights reserved