J-1 Exchange and Program Sponsored Students

The J-1 visa is generally used for students in specific educational exchange programs such as the Fulbright, LASPAU, DAAD, AmidEast, etc. Educational institutions, such as Norwich University, may also sponsor J-1 visas for students in their degree programs. The purpose of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program is to provide foreign nationals with opportunities to participate in educational and cultural programs in the United States and return home to share their experiences.

The J-1 visa program is managed by a shared database called SEVIS. To be eligible for a J-1 visa sponsored by Norwich, one must first meet one of following criteria:

  • At least 50% of the cost of tuition and fees comes from sources other than personal funds, such as a government agency, official scholarship agency or employer; (student personal loans, e.g. HELP loans do not qualify
  • The student’s government funding requires the use of the J-1 visa based on receiving a government scholarship

The J-1 visa and the J-2 visa (for dependents) are obtained by presenting to a U.S. embassy or consulate a Form DS-2019 issued by the Exchange Visitor sponsor.

Here are some resources to assist you:

Study abroad Study at Norwich Partner with us Apply now

Connect with us

Norwich University
158 Harmon Drive
Northfield, VT 05663 USA
802.485.2000 | 1.800.468.6679
Copyright © 2018 Norwich University - all rights reserved