Maintaining your status

  • Keep your passport valid at all times
  • Consult your country’s consulate or embassy in the US to renew your passport
  • Attend only the school you are authorized to attend as listed on your DS-2019
  • Maintain continuous registration as a full time student each academic term (12 credit hours for undergraduate students)
  • If your DS-2019 will expire before you can complete your degree, you must apply for a DS-2019 extension BEFORE the DS-2019 expires. Requests for extensions should be submitted 60 days prior to the expiration date of the Form DS-2019 so the extension process can be completed prior to the expiration date on the document
  • If transferring from one US institution to another, you must complete the official immigration transfer process. You must notify the International Center if you intend to transfer. You must obtain a new DS-2019 to attend the new institution, and you must report to the Responsible Officer/Alternate Responsible Officer within 15 days of the program start date listed on the Form DS-2019
  • Limit employment on-campus to 20 hours per week while classes are in session
  • Obtain written authorization from the J-1 Responsible or Alternate Responsible Officer for your program BEFORE accepting any off campus employment
  • As a J-1 exchange visitor you must maintain the required level of health insurance coverage for yourself and any accompanying J-2 dependents, covering illness, accident, medical evacuation, and repatriation of remains.
  • Consult with the J-1 Responsible Officer or Alternate Responsible Officer of your J-1 program BEFORE reducing your course load, withdrawing from Norwich, or taking a Leave of Absence from the Institute.
Study abroad Study at Norwich Partner with us Apply now
Norwich University
158 Harmon Drive
Northfield, VT 05663 USA
1 (802) 485-2000 | 1 (800) 468-6679
Copyright © 2018 Norwich University - all rights reserved