Travel within the United States

You may travel freely within the United States including Alaska, Hawaii, and U.S. territories while you are in valid immigration status. You should have the following documents with you when traveling outside the Central Vermont area:

  • Form I-20 or Form DS-2019┬áissued by Norwich University
  • Unexpired passport valid for the next six months
  • U.S. visa (unless your are Canadian)

Travel outside the United States

You may leave the United States and return at any time during your program, provided you are still in valid immigration status when you return and you have been absent from the country for less than five months.
Documents required for re-entry into the United States

  • Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 issued by Norwich University with valid travel signature
  • Unexpired passport valid for the next six months
  • Unexpired U.S. visa (unless you are Canadian)

Obtaining a New Visa

If your entry visa has expired and your travel does not qualify for visa revalidation, you must apply for a new visa at an American consulate before re-entering the U.S. Entry visas can only be issued outside the United States. We recommend that you apply for the new visa in your home country; however, if you are unable to return to your home country and need to travel to a third country, it may be possible to apply for a visa there. We recommend in this case that you first contact the U.S. consulate in the country where you will be traveling to confirm that they will review your application. It is possible they would refuse to do so and ask you to travel to your home country. You should also be prepared for a possible delay in the issue of a new visa. A list of visa wait times is available on the Department of State website:

When you go to the consulate, you will need to bring your passport, I-20, financial documentation, and proof of full-time enrollment, as well as any other documents requested by the consulate.

Canadian Visas

To find out if you need a visitor’s visa to enter Canada please check to see if your country is on the list available on the Canadian Government website.

Study abroad Study at Norwich Partner with us Apply now
Norwich University
158 Harmon Drive
Northfield, VT 05663 USA
1 (802) 485-2000 | 1 (800) 468-6679
Copyright © 2018 Norwich University - all rights reserved